Sunday, June 03, 2007

All My Stars Aligned / I Wanna Love




YO

the weekend is over. i think i'll work backwards..

i went to see Scout Niblett tonight. It was one of those Sundays when i could luxuriously spend my time doing not much. Go pick up a record player, take a nap, listen to records and then go to a show. There was a good buzz in the venue, outside I had overheard people in the queue saying things like "Scout Niblett is indescribably brilliant". More than once the music reminded me of Nirvana, somehow. (Is there such a word as indescribably? Is it undescribably? I was eavesdropping a German conversation..hm).

Listen to "I Wanna Love" here. It's gonna be on Scout's new album (recorded in Steve Albini's studio, coming out in October).

My friend Kristian is on tour with Scout, playing drums. He told me this summer he will play drums for St Vincent, a young lady from New York who is going on tour with Arcade Fire. Holy smokes Kristian, that will be one hell of a time! (I do remember coming across St Vincent for the first time on Shane's blog a while ago.) can't stop listening to "All My Stars Aligned" here. (Check out the photographs in her profile, taken by the amazing NY based photographer Tod Seelie.)

Also NY based at the moment is Robbie! He's doing scintillating updates and stuff.

Last night at KIM was tons of fun. The crowd of people who turned up for the TADA showcase were totally awesome. We had a gang of Tada boys, modelling satin trousers and jewellery from Anna's collection. I can't wait to see the photos from the night...Dancin', drinkin' and talkin' til all hours. I even had an unexpected dj sidekick (thanks Maximilian). Max was one of the models, but not just a pretty face. A photographer and graphic designer (he made the flyer for us)...he's working on his website at the moment, I will point you in the direction when it goes up.

Expect Excellence came about because I wanted to start something new, but not just another dj night. I wanted to combine having a party funtime with showcasing art, fashion or photography work from up and coming artists and designers. I really enjoy working on this kind of thing, after getting a taste of the behind the scene's stuff from when I worked for Planningtorock, I missed it and so it's good to be working on a project like this which gives me a chance to work with some great people. Hooray!

(Photo blog of the night coming soon).

I don't particularly want a McDonalds to open in my hood, do you?

2 comments:

shane said...

I almost went to that show. I love her cars cover.
Does what your friend said mean that St. Vincent is going to be playing in Europe? cos that would be fantastic! (or awful, depending whether or not I'm around.)

Elizabeth said...

it was a really captivating performance. and the sound was crystal clear. really beautiful..i'm not sure if St Vincent is playing european gigs, i thought it was just a US tour that Kristian mentioned. i'll try and find out.