Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Alot of Things. Yay!

Hey, imagine three girls with long hair and blouses playing keyboards and bopping to a drum machine. Theyre singing about lying in the back yard measuring the stars with a ruler and a compass.

Au Revoir Simone, leaving a trail of swooning boys wherever their soft steps wander. They popped into the office yesterday morning, but I wasn't there yet, so I missed out. But I got to type up an interview Annie did. (I'm not saying anything, but guess who used to have a shaved head.)

They played last night in Magnet, as the opening band for Mono. It might seem like an unlikely pairing, but let me tell you all those long-haired noise-rock boys were totally under the spell of their dreamy pop lullabies. We were all waving from side to side, sighing longingly at the end of every song. They kept reminding me of someone, but i couldn't put my finger on it 'til my friend said "Postal Service". They also reminded me of the Lisbon sisters, though in a more well adjusted, less fatalistic kind of way. My favourite song from the night was the last one, a cover of Rod Stewarts "Young Turks"...(Why did he call it that? Why isn't this cover all over the INTERSPHEREOFLOVE yet? Listen to the original here! Oh, Rod Stewie.)

i'm sorry. these are the best lyrics EVER:
"Paradise was closed so they headed for the coast in a blissful manner.
They took a tworoom apartment that was jumping evry night of the week.
Happiness was found in each others arms as expected, yeah
Billy pierced his ears, drove a pickup like a lunatic, ooh!"

And it really is the best chorus melody ever. Especially the keyboard bits. No wonder they picked this one to cover.

And they have names like Annie and Heather. And surnames like Hart and D'Angelo. And i think i just fell in love with Annie's boyfriend's band though i haven't heard the music yet. This is two of the boys talking about a video for one of their songs:

...in the video for "No Radio." it started off with this real upbeat guitar track, and it just made me want to move my feet, and I was like, 'Oh, how funny would it be if we made this video that was like '80s Jazzercise?' And two months later, I found myself in short shorts, jumpin' around.




I hope that this week you are not going to miss:

Powers . Bastard . Fri 24 November. (also a Kate Boss dj night. There will be dancing.)

http://www.myspace.com/powersofpowers

Poopsy Club. WestGermany. Also Friday. I just got the newsletter on this one. There
will be a hairdresser called Charlie offering his services and there is "Queer darkroom" for "sexy chillout". I don't know, it's all in German..I think there is a band called Riots Not Diets from Argentina. You can read about one of the djs here. (Scroll down to A.Ona).

Field Music . Mudd Club. Sun 26 November. Playing support to Cold War Kids.

Almost Tropical (That's me.) djing at Dr Pong. Sun 26 Nov. From 11pm.

Field Music have put up some songs from their new album Tones of Town today. Get them while they are hot. Sit Tight and Give It Lose It Take It.

ps i missed Cansei de ser Sexy last night because tickets were TWENTY EUROS.

THAT IS RIDICULOUS CANSEI DE SER SEXY, WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!

No comments: