Tuesday, June 27, 2006

They'll Tell All My Friends and They'll Tell All My Enemies Too



I've been wondering how i could explain about the Yeah Yeah Yeah's gig that happened a month ago. I'm not sure that I can really. We arrived and the front bar was empty..except for Karen O on the big screen mounted on the wall. Quickly scampering into the main area of the Postbahnhof we manoevred ourselves into the crowd and all got seperated. My sister ended up right up the front (i just love that her outstretched fingers are in one of Robbie's most amazing photos.


Hearing "Maps" live was a moment when time stood still. The world stopped. Nobody moved. Maybe some people started making out. The mirror ball on stage became still and the light reflecting off the tiny pieces of mirror created a starry landscape inside the venue. It was amazingly beautiful, and i'll never forget it. And im glad they didn't play "Gold Lion" cos I don't like it and they pretty much played all my favourites. Seeing Karen have so much fun onstage was an inspiration, I find it no wonder that this woman is a heroine to so many. Thanks to the effort she makes to put in a special performance plus her warmth towards the crowd, the night really felt like a private party of friends and family. It was amazing to see her in action, giggling and laughing in the microphone and dancing madly to her own songs. YAY KAREN O.




"Sometimes I think that I'm bigger than the sound"



And then we went to 8MM afterwards and the band turned up and it was all a bit surreal. My sister and Karen spent alot of time talking, "I'm just Karen", she said. Outside Nick took a photo of us swilling beer. An evening spent in the company of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, unforgettable, amazing, emotional, sweaty fun.

Karen O has her own personal costume designer. The skeleton suit, the dress she was wearing that night and many others...

No comments: