Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Your Eyes Are Big When They're So Close


I like going to see Maximo Park live. The first time I went, last November, it was a gig that changed the way I listened to their album. I urgently searched out the songs which I hadn't been paying proper attention to and these have since become firmer favourites than the ones that drew my attention to the band initially. Le sigh. Around this time was a turning point in my life, I'd decided to really stay in Berlin and set myself up here despite unemployment, homelessness and a serious bike accident. I was making new friends and planning projects...for me the night of this gig was an evening of promise.

Second time around, June 22nd last at the Maria it was a warm-up to the Melt Festival, with the Pipettes opening up and Whitest Boy Alive playing next door in Josef. Paul took to the stage in a stamping fury. His energy is contagious and the crowd gave in completely and joined in. And I was right in the midddle of it! Woo hoo. It was a great feeling being in that crowd, and I didn't even mind the fine array of bruises I left with. Though I didn't get to speak to anybody who'd been performing that night, the backstage bit was nice, there was beer and food and nice people. I nicked some Pipettes set lists and some posters that said "Be Cool Smoke Outside". We were nearly ejected by a burly German bouncer (we didn't have red backstage bracelet tags as Paul had just waved us in) Thanks to Drea for her reasonable logic triumphing over his testosterone tantrum!

The photograph of Paul was taken by my sister this weekend when she saw them play in a special MTV tent at Oxegen Festival. Wonderfully, she had wandered in to the tent not knowing who was about to play and then the boys took to the stage and played a cute mini set of just 3 songs. Its online to watch here.

Theres a gig tonight that will be a nice change from all these "big" gigs i've been turning up at lately. Noussommesloups (We Are Wolves) are playing in White Trash tonight with support from Duchess Says . Tix: 8 euros, doors at 9.


www.myspace.com/wearewolvesnoussommesloups
www.wearewolves.net

No comments: